What is Pay-As-You-Go Web design?
Pay-As-You-Go (PAYG) web design is a way for small businesses to purchase a high-quality, professional website for their business without putting out thousands of dollars all at once.
The traditional way a small business pays for a new website or website redesign is by putting up a 50% deposit. Once the website is finished (typically 4 weeks later), the other 50% is due. So in the course of one month, the small business owner is putting out thousands of dollars – money that could be better spent marketing and growing their business.
Here’s how PAYG web design works: a small business owner decides on the type of website their business needs (five page, ten+ page, eCommerce website) and pays a monthly fee for that website over the course of twelve months. Typically, managed hosting and website updates are included in the monthly fee (a great value).
Is a PAYG website a cheap template or a custom design?
Our PAYG websites are all custom designed to meet the exact needs of each individual small business. There are several reasons why a custom website is better than using a template:
- A custom website is unique and created with the business in mind
- A custom design creates a unique customer journey for each visitor, from awareness to action.
- A custom website is an extension of the small business’ brand, mimicking the look and feel of the business.
- You’ll never have to worry that one of your competitors will have the same looking website as you (when you use a template that’s widely available). Your custom site will be your own.
Advantages of PAYG for small business
There are several advantages of going with a PAYG web design model, which include:
- No upfront costs, just an affordable monthly fee
- No hidden costs
- Managed Hosting, ongoing maintenance, security, software updates and unlimited site updates are included in the monthly fee
- Small businesses can reallocate resources to marketing their business while still having a high-quality, professional website
- Allows small businesses to pay for their new website or redesign over time instead of all at once
Ok, this sounds great, but what’s included in the plans that Deacon Design Studios offers?
First, let’s look at your design options. You can select from several options, depending on your small business needs. We offer:
- Five page websites
- Ten+ page websites (more than ten pages? We’ll provide you with a custom quote)
- eCommerce websites with up to 50 products and unlimited variations (more than 50 products? We’ll provide you with a custom quote)
Read more about all our options here.
No matter what plan you choose, you’ll receive:
- Managed Hosting on our dedicated servers
- Ongoing maintenance, security updates, software updates, full site backups, SSL certificate for added security
- Unlimited site updates
- An easy process for providing us with all the images and content you’d like on your new website
When considering whether to go with a pay-as-you-go website, some may wonder if it would be more economical to just go with a service like Wix or SquareSpace and pay less per month.
That is always an option, but here’s the catch with services like that. As of this writing, services like Wix and SquareSpace charge $30 or more per month. The catch is – you have to build the website yourself.
The question you have to ask yourself is: do I know enough about web design, conversion rate optimization, and web design best practices to build a website that will actually help me get more business?
The other problem is the hosting. Web services like Wix & SquareSpace used shared hosting – where 100’s of other websites are hosted on the same server. This makes websites load slower than if your site was hosted on a dedicated server with no more than 25 websites per server. Page speed is a major ranking factor for Google so it’s something to think about.
- You will have to do all the site updates yourself
- If you use one of their templates, you may end up with a website that looks like many others on the internet
- If you get stuck, who are you going to go to for help?
Who owns the PAYG website when it’s finished?
You retain the rights to your website when it is finished being built. You will be enrolled in a twelve month rolling contract and once you’ve completed twelve consecutive payments, you’re free to either renew your contract for another twelve months or host your website yourself. If you choose to move your website to another hosting provider, we will help you throughout the entire process.
For small businesses just starting out, or ones that have a website that just isn’t getting them more business – a pay-as-you-go website is a great option because you get everything you’d normally receive with a professional, custom design but not have to put out a large investment upfront.
If you’re ready to get started, click here.